Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thumb_gw

Wilting & yellowing leaves

thumb
11 years ago

It has been in the 100+ range here for the past 2 weeks and my Pink Lady and Rose of Sharon are starting to show signs because of it. I water them about every 4 days about 1/2 gallon of water because of the heat but am I watering too much or do they need more. I had this problem a few years ago and they died but I also got answers that told me that they were both too much water or not enough so I had no idea what to do. Here is a picture of my rose of sharon and a link to a picture of my Pink Lady.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (2)

• jean001a
    11 years ago

half gallon each is way too little for a shrub that size.

In pots or the ground?

If pots, can you move it to a tub to soak for max 20 minutes to rehydrate the potting mix?

If in the ground, water to moisten soil all the way to the dripline and at least 10 to 12 inches deep.

• thumb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for your response. They are in ground, sorry I forgot to mention that. Anyway, I dug down about 2" and the ground was bone dry so I watered the heck out of them and the next day the leaves were standing back up. Of course the yellow leaves didn't but the rest of the plant is looking good. As mentioned in my initial post I've been told that it was too much water and that was from an expert at a nursery...Wrong!

FYI, the Pink Ladys were just put in the ground about 2 weeks ago just before the heat wave so I'll pay more attention to them, The rose of sharon has been in ground for 4 years now.