Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lorij211

hibiscus budding but not blooming

lorij211
15 years ago

I have a hardy hibiscus that was doing good, blooming regularly and looked great. Now the leaves and stems still look good but the buds form and then just dry up. I just cut off about 10 buds. What do I need to do to help the buds go ahead and bloom out?

Comments (3)

• carol1961
    15 years ago

Are you having a very hot summer? If so and the plant isn't getting enough watter, that could be the problem. I have noticed if they don't get water they just seem to not flower or the buds dry up. Have you checked for insects?

• lorij211
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes the last few weeks have been in the high 90's so that could be the problem. The other hibiscus' that I have seem to be doing good but they are not producing as many buds either. I have not noticed any insects but will take a closer look. Thank you

• rosecorgis
    15 years ago

Hi Everyone,
    I'm having the same problem on my tropical hibiscus that I have in a pot. It gets too cold here to keep it in the ground, so I wheel it in and out of the garage to overnight when temps will get below freezing.

It leafed out and looks good and deep green with many buds, but they turn yellow and fall off. I am watering every other day. It has been hot, but it should like that since it should live in Hawaii. I found a few aphids on it and sprayed, but there weren't aphids on the buds that fell off. Could it need fertilizing? If so, what type?

Debbie

Sponsored
WellCraft Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars61 Reviews
Virginia’s Full Service Design-Build Remodeling Company