Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ponce418

Worried about Hibiscus...Buds

ponce418
16 years ago

I bought two hisbiscus from our local nursery and planted them at the beginning of July. I know they're of the hardy variety because the leaves are a dull green (not shiny, tropical leaves) and they were with the rest of the perrenials at the nursery.

Anyway, both have done wonderfully. To be honest, I have fertilized them much at all (except at the start) because we've been busy installing fencing all summer long. But they've grown quite a bit and both plants are COVERED with buds.

Problem is, the buds aren't blooming and I'm getting worried. It hasn't been very hot around here lately. Sure, in the high 80s during the day. But dropping down to the 60's (sometimes low 60s) in the evenings. The faint scent of autumn is definitely in the air.

I'm going to fertilize w/ MiracleGro this weekend and see what happens. Anything else I should consider trying to get these beautiful buds to pop?

I'm thinkin' maybe I got them in the ground too late for flowering this year?

Comments (2)

• hibsicus
    16 years ago

Hi,as for the buds on your hibiscus,it takes a while.They start off small,and when they get real big,they will probably bloom.I live in La.near Shreveport,and it is also teal hot and hymuid here.We are having over 100 here and they are still blooming here.I hope rhis helps.
    Margaret

• ponce418
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the insight, Margaret! So you're down there in the beautiful south, huh? Ahhh...my dream come true. A born and raised Massachusetts girl here. But I gotta tell ya, you Southern Belles are the lucky ones in my book. I'd move to that hot, humid and steamy weather in a heartbeat if my husband would agree to it.

The scent of autumn is faint in the air at the moment...but its there. In the blink of an eye my whole garden will be filled w/ knee deep snow. So enjoy those lovely Southern blooms of yours! :o)

Sponsored
King Construction Company LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Loudoun County, VA Custom Builder for Equestrian Facilities