Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fishoifc

buying hibiscus

fishoifc
15 years ago

my local nurshery is selling hibiscus for a good price I have no experience with these plants I live in coastal north eastern N.C. we usually dont frost till about thansgiving.my questions are, Will these plants live through a mild winter and is ther enough time left for them to establish in this growing season.also if they can be grown here should they be cut back and mulched after frost.Thank you for any help.

Comments (7)

• rjinga
    15 years ago

I'm in the EXACT same boat as you, I just bought 4 BIG plants at Lowe's today for $3.25 each!!! they have tons of new growth on them and are very healthy. I'm in middle GA, and although I have seen them growing in landscapes here, I'm not sure if they are better kept inside (Greenhouse etc) I hope some good responses come to your post :) it will help us both out.

• whaas_5a
    15 years ago

I'm on the border of zone 4b and 5a. I have an 8ft hibiscus that looks amazing...pink flowers. I have a 5ft with white flowers. Its not getting enough sun so its not as full.

I just planted (2) Minerva Hibiscus last year and there were maybe 2-3 main stems that had winter die back. I just pruned them out after it leafed out (they leaf out late spring). It shot up a few new shoots. Temp's went down to about -18 degrees that winter. My thought is the bigger you buy them the better off you are. The Minerva were at least 3 ft tall and had thick stems.

I planted a 2ft Aphrodite this spring, with softer stems, not as woody yet. Interested to see how that one does.

• fishoifc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

okay thanks I dont know what kind these guys are selling they just call them "Tropical Hibiscus" there the most common kind I see anyway I think Ill just get a few and try cant hurt there only a few bucks and there big thanks for your input.

• gansn
    15 years ago

I'm not sure if they would survive outside, if they are tropicals. Usually the tropicals don't make it through a frost, and they are very unhappy campers if the temps drop below 45 degrees. I'm afraid that you need to overwinter them inside.

Glenda

• hlily
    15 years ago

Tropical Hibiscus will not survive a frost. It has to be kept indoors in the winter if you are in zone with frost and freezing temps.
    HTH
    Hlily

• jtfenn04
    15 years ago

I am a novice learner when it comes to these plants. I just bought a bunch of hibiscus on clearance myself. Then someone told me that the plants that have bark like stems are annuals and the ones that have green stems are perienials. Hmm not sure? Also they say hardy to 30 degrees and rated at zone 9. Well I am in Michigan at zone 5. Is it a good idea to plant them and just before it reaches the 30's to cut them way back and mulch heavily, see if they survive????
    Thx in advance
    Tammy

• beachbarbie
    15 years ago

Tammy,
    Pretty much all hibiscus are perennial. It's just that the ones with the woody stems (Hibiscus rosa-sinensis) aren't hardy where you are, so you would treat them as annuals.
    I live where the temps do't get below 20 and even though I mulch mine 3' high and wide, not all of them survive. There's no way for you to keep them other than bringing them inside.
    Here'a a link to a great resource on the are of tropical hibiscus.
    Barb

Here is a link that might be useful: Queen of the Tropics

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH