Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
esjones_gw

Mystery - Hibiscus stems cut!

esjones
14 years ago

Hi all... I have a potted hibiscus on my patio. (The non-hardy variety.) For the last couple of weeks, we've discovered that, on most mornings, one or two stems appear to be cut off, and just lying on the ground beside the pot. They are very smooth, diagonal cuts, like you would make with scissors or shears. It doesn't LOOK like an animal has done this, but I cannot bring myself to believe that we have vandals in the neighborhood that just zero in on my hibiscus!

Today, I discovered TWO freshly opened blooms have been cut.

Has this happened to anyone else? Any thoughts?

Thanks.

- Earl

Comments (2)

• scondam
    14 years ago

Do you have deers in your neighborhood? I had similar problems with my newly planted hibiscus last year. They came in and munched away the leaves and buds. This year they ate up the agapanthi buds - they sheared them just like you had described - as if some vandal had used scissors to cut them off neatly. I would not have believed that this was deer-work had I not caught them red-handed one night. Try placing deer-block nets around the hibiscus. If deers or other animals were eating them, you won't miss your flowers any more. I hope you donot have vandals in your neighborhood.

• wally_1936
    14 years ago

Not sure but sounds like a twig Girdler

Sponsored