Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
freshair2townsquare

ROS root systems

I'm thinking about planting an ROS Red Heart in a container & wondered what information you can provide me re: their root systems.

ROS in my area usually grow to about 6-12ft high and slightly less in width.

In my searches for this answer within this forum, I found one reference to ROS trunks of 14" diameter, but I've never seen anything like that in North Central Texas. If you're in the D/FW area and know otherwise, can you chime in?

~ freshair

Comments (4)

• xineohpinakc
    14 years ago

I've kept some in a pot. They do grow fast so I had to trim the roots every spring or fall. Worst case scenerio is to root a few stems if it gets to much to handle and get rid of the larger plant. Some of the ROS here are 15-20 years old and don't have that size. They are large though and have about 6in stems. It has been pruned back every year though.

• wally_1936
    14 years ago

One Question, why are they in pots? They sure are hardy enough to winter over as far as Michigan.

• freshair2townsquare
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'd like to plant one near the house, but I don't want to take the risk of the roots damaging the foundation. So I'm considering a very large pot instead.
    ~ freshair

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

I have them growing right next to the wall all around the house. 20 years ago I had NO idea what I planted...then I left and 2 years ago I came back.
    So far..no problems. 2 are even on top of the septic tanks...no problems there yet either...knock on wood

Good luck

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery