Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spy_ri

Never had one- please help identify? Don't know if hardy!

Spy_RI
11 years ago

Hi!

A stranger left me a bunch of random plants based on how happy my office desk ivy looked, and I am trying to figure out what they are.

This is so lovely, but only one bud survived either bugs or deer, and I don't know it it is a hardy Rose of Sharon/Mallow type of plant, or a tropical that needs special care!

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions/identification/care tips you could offer- I have tried looking at a million images of hibiscuses, and haven't got a handle on this complicated family!

Sincerely,

Lexi

Comments (4)

• dbkh
    11 years ago

Possibly Pavonia hastata.
    Judging by insects damage, I would say NOT a keeper for your location anyway; Unless you really like using pesticides or want to use it as a pest lure.

• User
    11 years ago

Spy,
    Wow!Something really chewed that up good!
    It is hardy hibiscus.
    If you like it, plant it in an area that would get the most moisture in your yard, or remember to water it alot when it doesn't rain.
    Mulch it and it will be back next year.
    That is not tropical, it will come back.
    They sell this organic bug killer for indoor or outdoor plants at any HD or Lowes, it works good, you can spray it next year.
    Oh, and it loves a little bit of weak Miracle grow to get started next summer.

• Spy_RI
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much!!!! Ok- I will go ahead and plant it- something has been eating everything in my garden this year, I don't know what it is, but I hope the little plant makes it!
    Thank you again! I will try the Safer insecticidal spray, i don't want to use anything too hardcore chemical wise, but it's such a pretty flower!
    :)
    Sincerely,
    Lexi

• aquawise
    11 years ago

All that damage is from earwigs. They make the leaf look like green lace.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler