Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
merkity

a simple red double

merkity
9 years ago

this is my red double, finally recovered from winter and producing seed pods for me. This is also the one that produces seedlings with the funny tri-lobed leaves. *fingers-crossed* i should be harvesting a few pods from this guy in a few weeks and a bit sooner on my butterfly plant.

Comments (8)

• Gutzmek
    9 years ago

Looking good Merkity.

• merkity
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am thinking that some of these seedlings are showing their other species roots...they have such neat leaves. i think this is the most extreme one.

• Dustin Rae
    9 years ago

That's pretty neat, I have crossed my trees and gotten similar leaves as you have shown, I also have some intermediate leaves with three fingers and lots of hairs!

• merkity
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I just can't wait to see what kind of flowers these start producing flowers.

unfortunately my red double has not produced more than 2 seed pods this year - it doesn't like something and the seed pods keep dying off. oh well, I got lots of pods off my butterfly instead this year.

• User
    9 years ago

Merkity,
    I want to see your hybrid with the different leaves bloom.
    That is really cool looking.
    Please post a pic when it does.

• merkity
    Original Author
    9 years ago

get ready to wait about another year! I will certainly post. its just gonna be awhile as these guys are only about a year old. my other two seedlings are just flowering and they are 3 years. sigh.....such a long wait! at least its not orchids... :)

• Dustin Rae
    9 years ago

lol, no kidding Merkity- my hybrids just reached 2 years old and I am very impatiently hoping it will be an early bloomer- but if its three years I am hoping it is worth the wait :-)

the pics to my weird leaf morphs are in the hybrid hibiscus (dwarfed) thread.
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/hibisc/msg101913379685.html

• merkity
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ah - i did happen to read that thread - definitely want to see what happens.