Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blue Satin Rose of Sharon

Posted by nursejane 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 15, 07 at 15:06

I planted two 3-gal. size blue satin rose of sharon. They are both full of buds which refuse to open. They just turn brown and drop. The nursery which sold them had no ideas. There's no evidence of disease or insects. The other varieties are blooming. We are stymied. And I've been aching to see those big blue blooms. Any ideas? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blue Satin Rose of Sharon

Did you buy them and plant them recently?
WIthin the last 2-3 weeks?
Rose of Sharon can slightly protest when being transplanted or moved. Mabey they were rootbound.
When you planted them and removed them from the pot, did they have alot of roots? a whole lot?
Did you plant them in full sun? They won't bloom as well if they aren't in full sun.
There are sooo many variables, whatever you do, if you planted them recently, don't feed them.
Just water them deeply.
They will be alright, they are resilient.
You can still get blooms yet.
Weird the nursery didn't try to help you. If you bought them at Home Depot or Lowes, they could have bugs, spray them down real good with a hose every day to make sure the foliage is nice and clean.
Good Luck.
You made a fine choice with Blue satin, they are gorgeous!

o

Thanks for responding-butterfly4u. I bought them at Waterloo gardens. They're very reputable- they weren't unwilling to help-just had no ideas. They get about 5 hours of direct sun and the buds were already set. They just refuse to open. There were lots of roots but no evidence of being pot-bound. All the ROS at the nursery in pots were blooming- except for the blue satins, which looked ready to burst but just won't. Guess we'll just wait and see.

o

I normally don't have a problem with Waterloo. Occasionally you get some stock from them that is in a soil with to little or to much of a certain fert. It may simply take some time to acclimate to your soil and a few good rains to solve the problem. This is gonna be a good week for the rains.

o

NurseJane,
Did they bloom yet?
Mine is blooming up a storm after the rains!
Just checking back.

o

They never did bloom last year, but this year is a whole different story. They're already blooming and looking great! Guess they just had to acclimate. Thanks everyone.

o

Nursejane,
Happy you updated us on your Blue satins!
My Blues are blooming too!
Gorgeous aren't they?
I guess they were just a little mad.
They are glad this year!
Good Luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here