Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toryander

How Long to Bloom

toryander
18 years ago

I have a hibiscus bush in a pot in my garden room. It looks to be doing really well. It has many bloom pods at the end of each stem (I'm guessing that's what they are). Every day before work I run out to have a look hoping to see blooms. More pods are appearing and some seem to be getting bigger, but no blooms. Seems like this has been going on for a couple of weeks. Am I going to see any blooms you think? It's nearing the end of August already and I live above 5000'. Sigh, seems alot of things die before they get started up here.

Comments (4)

• beachbarbie
    18 years ago

Is it root bound? That's one of the first things I check when one of my hibiscus isn't blooming. Either that, or it may want to be fertilized.
    Barb

• toryander
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the input, Barb. I actually saw color starting to issue forth from one of the buds this morning. Maybe something is going to happen soon. On the other hand, now that you mention it, I don't use much fertilizer. Perhaps I will try a little more.

• Oliver_Shagnasty
    18 years ago

Don't do anything ---- you have buds ---- give them time.

Shagnasty

• toryander
    Original Author
    18 years ago

It's blooming! Great big purple blooms. I've been waiting all summer for something to happen and was wondering if the autumn freezes would arrive before the blooms. This is my second year trying to grow hibiscus. Last year I had a small, single stem hibiscus which bloomed until I didn't water it enough. This year my potted hibiscus (I bought from the nursery) has grown into a bush. Lots of buds all over it. I don't want it to die this winter, but it's pretty big to move into the house. Can you cut these back?

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES