Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thecluelessgardener

Help! Help! Help!

I bought two young hibiscus trees from Sams club (primarily to rescue them because they all looked as though they were about to dry up and blow away) earlier in the summer. I put them on my deck, but I haven't yet replanted them in the larger pots I've gotten for them (they're just sitting in there in the plastic pots they came in.) They are blooming really well but they aren't growing much or producing lots of leaves (the leaves they are producing sometimes turn yellow and I have to pick them off.) I water them every day or every other day (maybe too much?). I want to plant them into the larger pots (which I'm assuming will help them grow larger) but I don't know the best way to do it or what soil to use. And I also need to know what to do with them in the winter. It doesn't get below freezing in Seattle for more than a handful of days out of the winter, but there is also virtually NO sunlight at all. I have a garage, but it's open to the outdoors and probably wouldn't give much of a temperature variance. I would LOVE to have them in my apartment and have them looking nice and healthy, but I have very little knowledge of how to take care of them well. Any advice would be WONDERFUL. Thanks so much for your expertise!

Comment (1)

• beachbarbie
    16 years ago

You're right; those plants sound desperate for bigger pots. Pull them out of the pots  youÂll know for sure then! If they are root bound, IÂd repot now. Give them a chance to settle in to their new pots and grow more roots before the cold temps hit.
    Any good potting soil with organic matter and perlite is good.

As far as winter goes, when temps are steadily in the high 30's and low 40's, you'll bring them in then. If you have a window with at least 3 hours of direct sunlight, you could bring them in and keep them there. They should bloom all winter, just not as much as they're doing now. Your garage is an option. Just put them up against the building wall - it'sll be warmer there. You can also wrap bubble wrap around the pot to help keep the roots warmer. The plant will go dormant, so you souldn't water it more than once a month.
    I attached a link to some great information on growing hibiscus in areas where theyÂre not hardy.
    Good luck!
    Barb

Here is a link that might be useful: Queen of the Tropics

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio