Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rjinga

Readers Digest Version of How to Care for Hibiscus

rjinga
15 years ago

I'm completely new to growing these, and it would be a real help to have some basics on what they need. How often to water, how often and when to fertilize, how often and HOW to prune and/or deadhead. Anything else I"m missing?

Comment (1)

• beachbarbie
    15 years ago

Here's the short version of what I know about caring for hibiscus rosa-sinensis - tropical hibiscus.
    You don't need to worry about deadheading, the old blooms fall off by themselves.
    Pruning it usually done in the winter, when it gets colder and the plants have stopped blooming. The reason for this is that it takes 2-3 months for a trimmed branch to grow back enough to produce blooms. You don't need to prune, but people do it for shape and the more you trim, the more branching there will be and therefore more blooms (hibiscus bloom on the ends of new growth).
    When the temps are still hot, you'll need to water everyday. Water them thoroughly each time. They are thirsty plants, but can't stand soil that stays wet, so make sure the drainage is good.
    As far as fertilizer, I use a time release in the spring and fall. I'll also use fish emulsion about once a month during the growing season.
    Also - sunlight. These guys need at least 4 hours ro bloom properly, but they can use some shade on the afternoon, especially during the dog days of summer.
    The link is to a great resource that I use a lot.
    Welcome to the hibiscus addiction!
    Barb

Here is a link that might be useful: Queen of the Tropics

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012