Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenjesse

Newbie needs help with pollinating

greenjesse
12 years ago

Ive got two hibiscus plants. One is the common red hibiscus you can buy anywhere ( i dont know what there name is) and the other one is the yellow "sunny wind" kind. Well ive been trying to pollinate my red one with itself for a long time with no success. Now i have my yellow one so i want to cross them to see what i get. How do i do this the right way? This would be my first time doing any of this. Ive already tried rubbing the pollen from my yellow H to my red H. The yellow one was about to fall off anyway bc i had to wait until the red one opened. Of course the red flower finally fell and then were the seed would have grown, it fell off also. This is what always happens!

Comment (1)

• AMaji
    12 years ago

Usually the common hibiscus is fertile. However, the other one may or may not be fertile. Also, they may have incompatible genes even though they are hibs. Research more on hibiscus pollination. One overlooked fact is the ambient temperature. Hibs don't form pods if the temps are over 90 degrees. So, for us, trying to pollinate hibs in summer is futile.

Good luck.

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz