Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joyce58_gw

What is skeletonizing my hibiscus leaves?

joyce58
16 years ago

The leaves on my hibiscus have been "skeletonized" by some insect I can't see.

I have been using Safers and Organicide with some small success...I do not use anything that is not environmentally sound.

Thanks for any suggestions you can give me.

Joyce

Comments (5)

• conniesue
    16 years ago

I was surfing looking for that same information. I found some information from an old forum. It said it was Sawfly larva. It had several links and one said to use conserve. I also saw a post that said seven would take care of the problem, and I had already dusted mine with seven. I saw the little worms and had killed several. If you type "sawfly on hardy hibiscus" in the google bar it will probably take you to that same link. Good luck, they have really made a mess out of four young plants that I had started. I have 3 older plants that they don't seem to have bothered yet.
    ConnieSue

• nucci60
    16 years ago

If your leaves are looking like lace,It could be japanese beatle. they eat my hibiscus,banana leaves and canna with equal relish.i catch one in the act rarely, so they must feed in darkness.

• conniesue
    16 years ago

I've had problems with japenese beetles before too, but they bothered my blooms worse than my leaves. I had pretty good success with just hand picking the japenese beeltes.

• lagomary
    16 years ago

I have seen little bitty fly looking bugs and small green grasshoppers on my hibiscus. I have tried Seven dust but the leaves keep turning yellow and the buds keep falling off. Does anyone have any idea what is happening and what I can do about it? Thanks

• beachbarbie
    16 years ago

The bugs wouldn't have anything to do with the leaves turning yellow or the buds falling off.
    You're using the right stuff to get rid of the grasshoppers.
    a lot of times, when both those symptoms show at the same time, it's because the plant needs fertilizer and/or watered incorrectly.
    Where do you live? Just wondering since parts of the country are in a big drought and the temps are higher than usual, so a lot of plants are suffering.
    Barb

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA