Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pamelia00

Strange beetles partying in the seed pod of my hibiscus

Pamela Church
17 years ago

I wish I could get a picture, but my camera doesn't have fine focus at all. The beetles are very small, smaller than lady bugs. They are just in one cluster of seed pods.

They are black and white spotted with orange heads. They don't seem to be eating anything. They look like they're bedded down in the pods of this one cluster. Anyone have any idea what's having a pajama-party on my hibiscus?

Comments (2)

• jardinerowa
    17 years ago

I just came to check on my tropical hibiscus that has been blooming this year for a over a month and one of spent flowers' base, there were these little bugs with pink heads and purple bodies no more than 3 mm long. There was also a small bits of "feather" like white dust that seemed to be related to them.

Is this the same thing that you had? Can anyone please help us?!?! I sprayed mine and will wash it but golly this was in the HOUSE!

J

• Pamela Church
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Mine were black and white with orange heads. They had started spreading to the other seed heads. They're in buggy heaven now. I spayed them with Sevin. Although my hardy hibiscus are finished blooming, they are right beside my confederate roses which haven't started yet. I didn't want them to get adventurous and go for a meal on my other plants.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio