Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
reneef_gw

Growing a hibiscus indoors?

reneef
10 years ago

I have a 18ft high livingroom with large windows and lots of daylight and I want to grow a big and tall tree. I was thinking a hibiscus tree might work well. Does anyone have any suggestions on types of hibiscus or the type of pot and soil to use? Or any other tree that would grow well indoors? Maybe an orange tree...
I live in Ontario, Canada so the winters get really cold.
Thanks, looking forward to the responses!

Comments (6)

• NorthwestPlanter
    10 years ago

Which direction do the windows face? Hibiscus really aren't trees, but rather a shrub. I would suggest something a little more tolerant of the indoor climate. Perhaps a ficus benjamina or something like that. they grow fairly quickly and despite being a common plant, when mature they make brilliant specimens.

• reneef
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi! Thank you so much for the advice! Ficus would be really nice...
    I was hoping to get something really unique that would grow to about 16' tall...something with alot of leaves...something that you would see and think it belongs outside...
    Here is a picture of the room I'd like to put it in...

• hermie3rd
    10 years ago

Wow! That room is really nice! I wish I had those windows! :) I think you could put a hibiscus there. While they are bushes, my mom has several (probably about 5 feet tall right now) that she has shaped into trees. It is my experience (living in MI) that my hibiscus do extremely well for me in the the winter when they are placed right by my large living room window, which faces east. Then, in spring when the danger of frost has past, I place them outside on my front porch, so they basically stay on the same side of the house all year. It doesn't look like you would have this issue from your picture, but just make sure they aren't by any heating/air ducts. Good luck! :)

BTW - I'm just a novice. I've had my hibiscus for only a few years. I'm sure many others with much more experience might have other advice for you.

• reneef
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi hermie3rd, thank you so much for the advice, I will definitely reconsider the hibiscus....I figure there's enough room so I will try a few different plants/trees and see how they do...

Thanks again!

• hermie3rd
    10 years ago

No problem! If I lived near my mom, I would take a picture of hers so you could see what they look like. But I would definitely consider them! If you do, please post a pic - I would love to see it in its new home. :)

Renee

• tolip
    10 years ago

Consider the Ficus lyrata. Should be very nice for that spot. That space is good enough for both the ficus lyrata and a smaller hibiscus.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?