Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greattigerdane

Rose of Sharon Seeds

greattigerdane
17 years ago

A few questions,

I was given a few seeds, they are still green, are they ripe being green? One is a good size, tip of thumb size, the others are smaller, smaller than a marble and also green, are they any good?

If so, how do I plant them, just bury them in the ground about an inch??? Open the seed pod up and take out smaller seeds? Do they need to soak in water overnight?

Clueless!

Comments (3)

• titanhockey02
    17 years ago

Hey - to me, I don't think they are ripe. I think they need to be left on the parent plant until the pods turn brown and open up. You could try planting the seeds you have ... by cracking open the pod and then planting the seeds inside. At my old house we had about 15 mature rose of sharon bushes and my dad and I would have to go out in the winter and clip off the dried out seed pods because when they would open, if there was a strong gust of wind, the seeds were all over the ground... and left some not so nice suprises the next spring when we had thousands of seedlings coming up ... but that was because we had so many ROS. Anyways, if I were you, I would possibly try some of those individual seeds, if those do not work, in fall when leaves are coming off the trees, ask your friends to check out all of their pods... a lot should be brown and dried out... that is when we've always had great luck with seeds. If you can get some then, I would store them and then plant them the following spring unless you have means to store them inside over the winter.

Anyone else agree/disagree?

God Bless,
    Matt

• greattigerdane
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Matt,

I didn't really think they were rip, but I was hoping anyway. Ok, they need to be brown and dry, maybe when the leaves start falling, gotcha!
    I did take the biggest one and crack it open today, inside there were white seeds, definitely not done!
    Well, I put them just under soil in my garden anyway, but I really don't think anything with come of it, but it won't hurt to try.
    I will however tell my friend to try and get me a few more. He said the flowers would be white with a red center (many ROS bushes/trees growing behind his workplace by a river) He had to climb over a Page fence to get them! Maybe he won't mind going over just one more time!

If I do get some ripe seed pods, what is the best way to store them until spring? Can I plant any seeds in Sept?

Thanks so much for your very helpful advice!
    Billy Rae

• tracey_nj6
    17 years ago

Yes, you can plant seeds in September. My neighbor doesn't understand the word pruning, so I get hundreds of seedlings in my veggie garden every spring thru fall, grrrrrrr...

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm