Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hibiscus in a New England garden-questions

Posted by Thomas_NH z5 New England (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 4, 05 at 20:26

I am a New England gardener and love hibiscus in the garden. There are so many different kinds of hibiscus. Is the major division for us: hibiscus as woody plants like Rose of Sharon and hibiscus as perennial that dies to the ground like 'Lord Baltimore'??? let me know. I am a newbie with hibiscus but like them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hibiscus in a New England garden-questions

I think rose of sharon does not die to ground in fall, (I could be wrong on that, I don't have one, yet) but hardy hibiscus do die to the ground and rise late in the spring to flourish from the roots.

o

I have a blue satin rose of sharon. I cut it back to about 6 inches in the fall and mulch it heavily with straw. It comes back beautifully (it emerges late in the spring - one of the last things to appear for me) and is loaded with flowers this year. I fertilize it every two-three weeks with MiracleGro. Some people around here don't cut theirs back and I don't think they look as nice - the flowers seem to be "lost" in all the foliage!

o

I took my 4y/o grand daughter to Home Depot last Sept and was so impressed with a Luna Blush P. Hibiscus I had to get it for her patch (mostly Mini Roses and knock Outs) in my gardens. Luna Blush gave her a bloom a day through the first frost - we did not cut it back, just covered with dried oak leaves for Winter nap! As expected she is a late comer and now she is 2X2 ft tall & spread with loads of buds (I hope I don't jinx her!) my g-daughter is so excited and can't wait to see if by Mon, when she comes, some buds would open.

Her tag said hardy and compact, no pinching nor staking but no word on cutting back for Z5 Winter rest, should we do it?

Appreciate your ideas and thoughts!

Ditas

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here