Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
swoosieque

Sick hibiscus

swoosieque
12 years ago

I planted 8 Hibiscus plants along a fence line and they all have been doing very well except for one of the smaller ones. I have been sure to water them regularly during this terrible heat wave and drought. Anyway, I dug up the sick one, thinking that maybe there were air pockets or something was wrong with how I planted it. To my surprise, the roots had a lot of "little green balls" all over the place! Curious, I squeezed one of the balls and a white milky-like fluid came out. I'm thinking these little green balls are some type of insect egg??

So, I soaked the roots in a pail of water, tried to scoop out all the little green balls, poured some "Seven" insecticied in the ground, re-planted the Hibiscus and sparingly spread a little fertilizer on top of the ground and soaked it again.

Anyone know what those little green balls things are? Wish I could post a picture. They are very tiny, like bug eggs would be.

Thanks for any help!

Comments (3)

• jean001a
    12 years ago

Slow release fertilizer added by the grower.

• swoosieque
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I guess that's good news, and I feel so dumb, wish I knew why that one plant is not doing well. The leaves are drooping severely. Thanks for your reply Jean001a.

• AMaji
    12 years ago

Sometimes some plants are weaker than others. That is natural. You should just take care of it and give it some extra TLC. My suggestions is not to fertilize it with chemical ferts but provide it with some fish emulsion and seaweed solution mixed in water as per recommended by the manufacturer. Then, every other day spray it with a weak seaweed solution. Hope this helps.