Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
love_the_yard

No Flowers At All This Year

I transplanted a two-year-old hibiscus in April. It recovered nicely and looks very healthy. It is in full sun except for shade in the very late part of the day. I have had NO blooms this summer - not a single one. The plant looks perfectly healthy, yet no flowers. What could the problem be?

Comments (2)

• jenny_in_se_pa
    18 years ago

It probably needs more time. It had to take time to regrow new feeder roots that were lost when it was transplanted and then had to start getting into a growth cycle. They bloom on new growth so that's what needed to happen. I bet it will start blooming very soon, assuming you had some new growth going on it since it was transplanted.

• wgrisaitis
    18 years ago

funny you should say that, Love the Yard... I live in the same area as you and haven't had any blooms myself for the past 2 months. they were freshly planted in march at about 1.5ft tall, and have grown taller than me by now (6ft)!

just today, i got some fertilizer that's supposedly designed for hibiscus and just applied it a few hours ago. i'll let you know if my experiment works, but maybe you should try applying some fertilizer too. it can't hurt, and it could be the solution to your bloomlessness (hopefully mine too!)

hope that helped!

Will

Sponsored