Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
esayelelwhy

My hibiscus is now an althea???

EsAyElElWhy
11 years ago

Three years ago I purchased 4 shrubs labelled Hibiscus rosa-sinesis. They were blooming with bright pinkish red HIBISCUS SHAPED flowers. They were only tolerant to 20 degrees F, and as I live in zone 5 I didn't ever expect them to winter over successfully. The following spring they surprised me when the shrubs showed signs of life. They had prolific leaf growth that year but never blossomed. May I point out that the leaves produced on the same branches as the previous year, and did not produce new growth from the ground up.

They also lived through the winter year 2 and 3, but still never bloomed in the summer. Now on their fourth year of growth I was excited to see them with flower buds, although I felt it was late in the season for hibiscus. I have to admit during all this time I really never paid attention to leaf shape, (which I suppose I should have).

The buds finally opened, and they're not red. They're not even hibiscus. They're a lovely lavender-pink althea (rose of sharon). I have to admit I'm totally perplexed on this.

The shrubs, though about 3 feet taller than at purchase time, still have the original ID tags on them, they are definitely the SAME plants I planted there. I realize that althea are in the same family as hibiscus, but they were definitely HIBISCUS when I planted them, with shiny glossy leaves and red orchid like blooms, not at all what there is there now.

There is no way anyone could have substituted the shrubs for something else without my knowledge.

Can anyone explain how this is possible?

Comments (2)

• User
    11 years ago

Hibiscus is the family.
    Rose of Sharon is in the hibiscus family.
    Althea is just one name of Rose of Sharon which is in the hibiscus family.
    If they were tropicals, they would not have come back.
    So, they are probably Rose of Sharon, which are beautiful and can come back from your zone.
    If you aren't happy with the bloom, fertilize them in the spring when it starts to get warm.
    COmposted manure and a good mulch will go a long way with Rose of Sharons, which are in the Hibiscus family.
    They are hibiscus.

• dbkh
    11 years ago

If you want to dig into semantics, some would tell you that the Rose of Sharon is a double blossom version of the Althea -- which has the appearance of a rose. And that the name Rose of Sharon caught on for all for marketing purposes -- very pretty name.

Anyway, this is very strange. The only thing I can think of is that the nursery did an irresponsible practice of grafting high on the stem and then that top growth was killed off by frost without you noticing.

Grafting high on the stem is usually only done with plants where you want more than one cultivar to be preserved.

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County