Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hibiscus Seeds

Posted by ncsucarrie 7b (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 24, 07 at 21:30

Hi All,
I'm relatively new to hibiscus plants, although I know enough to know they are neat plants. But I recently recieved a cutting from a hibiscus that is a bunch of seed pods that are already broken open and have seeds inside. I was trying to research this some on my own and it seems like most of you plant seeds in March or so. Would it be inadvisable to plant them now? If we did plant them now would be wise to "nurse" them indoors over the winter if they make little seedlings ? Or would it just make better sense just to wait till March. I didn't see anywhere where the seeds needed to be "cold" to germinate. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Any advice would be appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hibiscus Seeds

I've started 4 plants from seed. One is about 3 years old now and blooming like crazy this year. Each time I took the seeds and kept them in the house until spring. None of my seeds were ever cold. They emerge very late in the spring, and I had given up on the two I started last spring, and then up they came, and one has started blooming. I have started mine later than march every year, so I don't usually get blooms the first year. Good luck, they are wonderful plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here