Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Identification help please

Posted by dpolson37 7a Virginia (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 28, 08 at 21:53

this is a photo of a hibiscus I started from seed early this spring. It finally bloomed, but I have no idea what type of hibiscus it is. Any ideas? Thanks.

The plant is almost 6 feet tall now and has very few blooms. The blooms never open more than what you see. All blooms have been vibrant red. With cooler weather around the corner I'm wondering how to care for this hibiscus. It's in a pot so I can bring it to a place where it won't freeze. Any help is appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Identification help please

The blooms never open? Strange.

Are the leaves glossy? Tropicals tend to have more glossy leaves than hardy hibiscus. can you post a picture of the leaves? It's really hard to tell from just a closed blossom.

Glenda

o

That is Malvaviscus arboreus var. drummondii aka Turk's Cap Hibiscus or Sleepy Hibiscus.
Sharon

o

There is also a pink and a white version of this.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here