Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mbhoneybee63_gw

2nd yr tropical not blooming???

mbhoneybee63
12 years ago

I live in Ohio zone 5 and bought a yellow tropical hibiscus last year while in bloom. I repotted it into a larger pot and brought it inside over the winter. Eventually it lost it leaves and looked like a bunch of sticks...but began growing leaves quite nice in late winter/early spring. When the weather warmed up I put it outside and it has turned out to be a 3-3 1/2 foot very lush foilage plant. No flowers or anything showing that it is setting any buds. I have used bloom booster fertilizer on it once a month or so. It is in a mostly sunny place in the yard (potted). Decided not to put it in direct sun since it is in a pot and was't sure if I could keep it sufficently waterd. Any advice as to why it has not bloomed? What should I have done differently?

Comments (2)

• AMaji
    12 years ago

The abnormal heat wave maybe to blame. Down here in the South, the hibs stop or reduce blooming during the hottest part of summer. I think you should get some high potassium fertilizer and apply it to the hibs following the fertilizer manufacturer's recommendations. Nothing better than Potash to help hibs bloom.

Good luck.

• mbhoneybee63
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks AMaji...it has been quite hot this summer. Reminds me of the 10 yrs I lived in Florida. Unfortunatley though I know it won't be too long before I am complaining about snow!

Sponsored