Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cannacrazy

Stopped blooming

cannacrazy
14 years ago

One of my hibiscus has stopped blooming and I don't have a clue why. It looked a little rough after wintering in the garage but has put back all of it's lost foliage and gained a good 1' or more in height since moving back outside in the spring. It bloomed for a while but now has shown no signs of a bloom in over a month. I have another that continues to put out multiple blooms so I don't think the SC heat has anything to do with it. Any ideas?

Comments (2)

• hibiscusgord
    14 years ago

Hello. After reading you post, I think I might have some solutions for you:

The overwintering in your garage may have set it back for a long time. I have experience with cold weather because I live in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada where winter is 8 months of the year. I have 12 hibiscus trees and cold weather below 45F can set them back for 6 to 8 weeks. I can only keep mine outside from the end of May to the end of August because of freezing temps.

Try this:

Sunlight: Hibiscus do not necessarily like a full day of direct sun, especially after being in the garage all winter in the dark. Make sure it gets at least 4 hours of direct or filtered sun, but keep it out of the direct sun and heat while it comes back to blooming.

Food: I have tried several fertilizers and supplements over the years, but found that only high quality plant food in liquid form yields excellent results in every one of my specimens. I have been using Botanicare pure blend pro bloom for soil food with excellent results. You may want to try feeding it this in once a week doses.

Overall, you just have to be patient. I had struggled with mine in the past and found that after colder weather below 45F, that some, but not all hibiscus, may take a 6 to 8 weeks to bloom again even if they are growing heavy foliage.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Gord

• nana8
    14 years ago

I have had the same problem with two of the tropical hibiscus. I have 6 that are blooming their heads off and two that are treated the same, same light, water, fert., and have not done anything all Summer. Could it be the cold evenings, and wetter weather in Ky. this year?
    nana8

Sponsored