Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cowsrgreen

Hibiscus Hybridization

cowsrgreen
13 years ago

I really need help from an expert or anyone who has experience in successfully crossing hibiscuses. Is it at all possible to cross the outside of the period between Oct 15 to Apr 15? I've read this recently and am concerned that it may be the reason why I'm not having success in my attempts. I'm focusing within the hibiscus rosa sinensis.

Help Please?

Comments (3)

• beachbarbie
    13 years ago

As far as I know (and I have some success with crossing Hibiscus rosa-sinensis), the important thing is when the temps aren't too hot (below 90F) and crossing them in the mornings (when pollen is fresh).
    If you want more specific advice, I can try to research this more.
    Barb

• cowsrgreen
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you so much for replying. I suppose my climate(Caribbean or Tropics) influenced the crosses more than I thought before.If it wouldn't be too much on your part, I wouldn't mind hearing your piece after research, as I've pretty much exhausted my Internet resources, having only received surface information(i.e. the method of crossing hibiscus plants).

• cowsrgreen
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Finally, I've achieved a cross. I crossed them around 9:00 am Thursday morning, and Saturday I realized the flower fell off and the base of the flower was swelling. I sincerely hope it keeps until it ripens. I guess the temperature really had a lot do with it, since it's cooler now. How soon should I cut the calyx so as to prevent it from harboring insects and fungus.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz