Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hibiscus Hybridization

Posted by cowsrgreen (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 14, 10 at 23:19

I really need help from an expert or anyone who has experience in successfully crossing hibiscuses. Is it at all possible to cross the outside of the period between Oct 15 to Apr 15? I've read this recently and am concerned that it may be the reason why I'm not having success in my attempts. I'm focusing within the hibiscus rosa sinensis.

Help Please?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hibiscus Hybridization

As far as I know (and I have some success with crossing Hibiscus rosa-sinensis), the important thing is when the temps aren't too hot (below 90F) and crossing them in the mornings (when pollen is fresh).
If you want more specific advice, I can try to research this more.
Barb

o

Thank you so much for replying. I suppose my climate(Caribbean or Tropics) influenced the crosses more than I thought before.If it wouldn't be too much on your part, I wouldn't mind hearing your piece after research, as I've pretty much exhausted my Internet resources, having only received surface information(i.e. the method of crossing hibiscus plants).

o

Finally, I've achieved a cross. I crossed them around 9:00 am Thursday morning, and Saturday I realized the flower fell off and the base of the flower was swelling. I sincerely hope it keeps until it ripens. I guess the temperature really had a lot do with it, since it's cooler now. How soon should I cut the calyx so as to prevent it from harboring insects and fungus.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here