Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19692433

My ROS are ugly and leggy

User
16 years ago

Please tell me there is hope.

My ROS were planted summer of 2006 and have been babied ever since.

They receive everything they need.

They are the white single flower with the deep red centers.

THey are blooming now.

They are sooo ugly. The stems are long and leggy with little lite green foliage. You can't even see the branches very well, but you can sure see the flowers. (from 10 feet away)

I planted these as a privacy screen that I desperately need.

I have lost patience with them.

I can prune them down by a third but then I still won't have any kind of a privacy screen for years, right?

SOrry, just venting.

Is there another type of ROS mabey that has a nicer shape to it with foliage you can't see straight through?

Mabey it's the variety I planted.

Has anyone here used ROS for privacy and has been happy?

THanks for any suggestions.

Comments (6)

• paulallen
    16 years ago

Suggestion, trim them back by about 25% in the Spring and they should grow out by the end of the summer. Try to work with the shape you 'see' in each ROS. I do this every Spring to maintain a dwarf tree effect with each plant. Good luck.

• User
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Paulallen,
    Thanks for the suggestion!
    I will do it.

• paulallen
    16 years ago

You're most welcome. Please keep me posted. I take great pleasure in growing ROS and helping others do the same. It's a phenomenal plant. Suggestion, mulch carefully around the base, not touching the trunk. As the mulch becomes compost, it feeds the roots and you only need add more mulch. Ruth Stout's teachings work.

• silent1pa
    16 years ago

Maybe I am lazy but I just keep jamming more seedlings into my wall of ROS and it stays quite thick since they seed so much.

• nucci60
    16 years ago

to each it's own, but thats the first time I have heard that ROS red heart was ugly.I love mine.

• conniesue
    16 years ago

I have a german sheperd that just turned 1 in June, last winter her favorite pass time was "eating" my 2 year old rose of Sharon. I really thought she had killed it. I had to prune it way back, over 50% to get past the chewed places. Anyway it has been absolutely gorgeous this year. It has grown really thick and taller than it was before. I would have never pruned it back that much on my own, but instead of killing it, she actually helped it. So I think you could prune it way back this winter and it would grow much thicker by the end of next summer.

Sponsored