Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boomantoo

Propagating from end of the year prunings

boomantoo
13 years ago

Will propagations grow from the cuttings of end of the year prunings? After the flowers have bloomed. In other words can I use the cuttings to root new plants. Or will these fail because the canes have already bloomed? I took some cuttings earlier in the year and they already have their roots. Just not sure if the late cuttings will take or am I wasting my time? Thanks

Comments (7)

• jroot
    13 years ago

Here in zone 5 Canada, I've been wondering the same thing. I have to take all of my 14 different tropical hibiscus plants indoors for the winter. They definitely need pruning in order to get them through the doors, so there will be a lot of potential "cuttings". I have planned on trying to root them. If someone with my name can't start them, no one can. LOL

jroot

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    13 years ago

I have two hardy hibiscus that I would love more of and now that the question has been asked, I am wondering if it's too late to try to root some cuttings, too. I think there's a chance they will root, but, is there time to transplant into the ground and for them to establish a root system before winter, I wonder.

Well, if I find the time, I may try a few.

• boomantoo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

If you get them to root I wouldn't try to put them outdoors yet I would protect them indoors for the first year and then put them out in the spring. I don't think the roots that grow will be strong enough for transplanting. By spring they should be ready. Best to take cuttings when the canes are young and new. But I cut them to the ground at the end of the year anyway. I hate to throw them out if they will root. Well I guess I'll find out I stuck about 40 cuttings. I will keep everyone updated.

• jroot
    13 years ago

Prairiemoon2, nothing ventured ... nothing gained. That is my philosophy with regards to making cuttings. Go for it. I think I will be doing that.

Actually, at a party at my house, someone broke off a branch of my double orange, which I then dipped in rooting hormone, and put into potting soil. When I get home from my trip, I'll check it out.

• beachbarbie
    13 years ago

Don't see why it wouldn't work, as long as you can keep the cuttings warm enough.
    Here's some great info that i always refer to when trying to propagate.
    Barb

Here is a link that might be useful: Hibiscus, rooting cuttings

• dirtygardener73
    13 years ago

I have done this by putting them in a sunny window on a sheet of aluminum foil and covering with a mayonnaise jar. The aluminum foil reflects the heat to encase the entire cutting (no cold spots) and the jar is like a mini-greenhouse. I got 8 out of 12 to root like this.

• nanaclaire
    13 years ago

dirtygardener... did you plant them in soil and put the alum foil under the pot and covered with jar or layed the cutting on the alum foil and then covered with jar? Actually, I was wondering also how do you cut the cutting? Do you have to have so many leaves like a rose cutting? I know with rose cuttings, I'd plant them in a pot and place a jar over them outside. But for these, do you put them outside or inside this time of year - I'm in zone 5. Sorry for so many q.

Sponsored