Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jane__ny

Wintering over indoors...is it worth it?

jane__ny
13 years ago

Would like to know how many people winter over and if the plant comes through, and blooms next year. I have a tree hibiscus which bloomed all summer outdoors. Before I bring it in, and try to keep it alive all winter, can I expect the same quality I had this summer?

This has been one beautiful plant!

Thanks,

Jane

Comments (7)

• donaldb
    13 years ago

Give it a try. I've had a tropical one but do not have an ID on it that gets brought in for the winter here in Massachusetts. It's kept in a sunroom that receives southeast light and gets watered a couple times a month. Upon bringing it indoors it's leaves will turn yellow and then regrow new ones. I have been doing this for the past 9 years with the same tree and it blooms profusely during the summer. Good Luck

• jroot
    13 years ago

Jane, I've had a couple of trees for well over 25 years, and they continue to bloom for me every year - even during the winter.

This year I have already brought in 18 of my 20 hibiscus plants. I expect them to drop their leaves, but they will make new ones to acclimatize for the difference in light. I water every 3 or 4 days, but ensure that they have good drainage.

Hopefully, you'll try to keep your beautiful hibiscus. I have one very similar to yours, and I love it.

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, for the responses. My question has to do with light. I don't have a lot of light.

Can I cut it back and force dormancy? I could keep it in a cool room over winter. It is a tree type so I don't know if that would work. I guess I could try to keep it alive with lower light.

Never grew one in a pot before. This plant was just so vigorous and healthy, I don't know what to do with it. I'd hate to lose it.

Thanks,
    Jane

• irish_rose_grower
    13 years ago

Hi Jane - it's Maureen - you've been helping me with orchids...now maybe i can help you with hibiscus.

I have a few tropical hibiscus that i've had for 3 yrs. I still have 3, i did have 5 but 2 of them didn't make it overwintering.

But that being said, i bring my plants inside when it gets cold (not yet in my zone) and let them go dormant in my basement....they don't go completely dormant but drop a couple leaves. I water just enough to keep them alive, not too much or they will die. They bloom better each year for me so i would definitely put it in your basement if you can. I get very very little light in my basement and they do fine come spring.

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Maureen! Good to see you here. Thanks for the advice. My basement area is cool and really has no light (1 small window). Do you cut them back?

Thanks,
    Jane

• irish_rose_grower
    13 years ago

HI Jane. I've never cut mine back and they did fine.

This year I am cutting some back because I want to try rooting some to trade for other varieties.

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just found your reply, sorry. I've been dragging it in and out depending on the temps. This week its so cold. This tree is so big, I don't know where to put it. It's still flowering and so pretty.

Wish I lived somewhere warm!

Thanks again
    ,Jane

Sponsored