Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pm92508

What diseases is this (picture attached)

pm92508
15 years ago

Area-Riverside, California

Shrub-Kind of hibiscus (purple flower)

Plenty of ants hovering over these bumps. What is this and how to control it? Following is the image attached.

Thanks

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (6)

• beachbarbie
    15 years ago

It's not a disease, but an insect infestation. Those bumps are sucking insects.
    I'd use something like Sevin, fast. Or, what might be better for the plants in the surrounding areas is to get rid of those plants.
    Just my opinion, someone else might have other advise on how to get rid of them.
    Barb

• lilgreenfrog
    15 years ago

Eew. Yeah, those are bugs; the ants are hanging around because the sucking insects excrete excess sugars (that they're sucking out of your plant) as a sticky "honeydew" substance that the ants love. They'll even "farm" groups of aphids, protecting the aphids and collecting the honeydew. [Note: I don't know that these are aphids; they may be some sort of scale?]

Can you scrape the bugs off? If so, a stiff blast of water will get rid of them pretty quickly, though it will need to be repeated daily for a while, as eggs already laid will hatch and start eating. (The bugs you spray off won't find their way back to your plant).

If you can't scrape them off easily, then you'll have to do as Barb suggests and spray the plant with a systemic insecticide.

Good luck!

Lara

• lilgreenfrog
    15 years ago

Yeah, scale. (See link below, and scroll down to pests).
    This site discusses what to do when the scale is on a dormant plant; you may need some other treatment since the plant is still trying to produce leaves, I'm just not sure.

If you have a county extension office available give them a call.

Best,
    Lara

• lilgreenfrog
    15 years ago

Fingers moving faster than brain today: here's the link.

Lara

Here is a link that might be useful: Scroll down to

• emmarene9
    15 years ago

use a systemic pesticide that will kill any sucking insect.

• bradley787
    15 years ago

Looks like Suckle Stem Anemia to me. EWWWWW!!!!

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm