Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What diseases is this (picture attached)

Posted by pm92508 Southern California (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 9, 08 at 0:48

Area-Riverside, California
Shrub-Kind of hibiscus (purple flower)

Plenty of ants hovering over these bumps. What is this and how to control it? Following is the image attached.

Thanks

Here is a link that might be useful: Image attached

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What diseases is this (picture attached)

It's not a disease, but an insect infestation. Those bumps are sucking insects.
I'd use something like Sevin, fast. Or, what might be better for the plants in the surrounding areas is to get rid of those plants.
Just my opinion, someone else might have other advise on how to get rid of them.
Barb

o

Eew. Yeah, those are bugs; the ants are hanging around because the sucking insects excrete excess sugars (that they're sucking out of your plant) as a sticky "honeydew" substance that the ants love. They'll even "farm" groups of aphids, protecting the aphids and collecting the honeydew. [Note: I don't know that these are aphids; they may be some sort of scale?]

Can you scrape the bugs off? If so, a stiff blast of water will get rid of them pretty quickly, though it will need to be repeated daily for a while, as eggs already laid will hatch and start eating. (The bugs you spray off won't find their way back to your plant).

If you can't scrape them off easily, then you'll have to do as Barb suggests and spray the plant with a systemic insecticide.

Good luck!

Lara

o
Mmm, Scale!

Yeah, scale. (See link below, and scroll down to pests).
This site discusses what to do when the scale is on a dormant plant; you may need some other treatment since the plant is still trying to produce leaves, I'm just not sure.

If you have a county extension office available give them a call.

Best,
Lara

o
Oops, sorry

Fingers moving faster than brain today: here's the link.

Lara

Here is a link that might be useful: Scroll down to

o

use a systemic pesticide that will kill any sucking insect.

o

Looks like Suckle Stem Anemia to me. EWWWWW!!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here