Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lil_rhody

My 1st hardy Hibiscus 'Fireball'

lil_rhody
19 years ago

This is my 1st hardy Hibiscus. Is there any special attention it needs that I should know about (Fall/Spring pruning, fertilizing, etc...?

Comments (4)

• lil_rhody
    Original Author
    19 years ago

bump!

• silverdollar
    19 years ago

This site helps me alot:

http://www.strictlyhibiscus.com/care.html

Best of luck to you!

• donna_jj
    18 years ago

My hardy hibiscuses all seem to survive fairly well with a minimum of fuss. Spring is the time to remove the extra mulch put on in the fall trim the dead stalks of last year's growth, trim them right to the ground. Top dress with compost, and water well. Once the days get warmer and you see the new shoots emerging, there is not much that needs to be done except watering, mulching and staking the plant if it is of the long and tall type (Lord Baltimore is like this). Once the flowers are done in the late summer, I top dress with more compost and whatever is handy tocover it to 12-24 inches over the winter. I use branches, cedar bark mulch, raked leaves, anthing to give it a nice thick mulch cushion over the winter, and so far, so good. I have over l0 different hardy hibiscuses that survive well this way. I hope your Fireball is doing well - I have finally found a Canadian source for it and will be getting one in May - Yipee!

• dragonfly_
    18 years ago

I have had Hardy Hibiscus for years. I just tried to divide as it was getting a litte to large for the area I had it in. No such luck, it was so dense. How do you divide? I just moved it as is. I must say this is the easiest plant and very large beautiful blooms each year.

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor