Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Green caterpillars eat Hibiscus leaves

Posted by hollasch 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 10, 06 at 9:09

I have a huge hibiscus - gets about 5' high and 6' wide, deep red blooms the size of dinner plates. It flowers well but the leaves get eaten completely away by small green caterpillars. Any suggestion for control of them? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Green caterpillars eat Hibiscus leaves

Dear Hollasch,
Try 1 tablespoon of Dawn dishwashing soap in 1 gallon of water and pour some in spray bottle and spray on every leaf both front and back.
Repeat once a week til the plant is clear of bugs.
I love red, and plan on buying a red one next spring.
That way it will have the entire summer to grow in before I bring it in for the winter.
GOod Luck!
Carla

o
RE: Green caterpillars eat Hibiscus leaves

The little green worms are sawfly larva .. In mid to late spring a black fly with an orange head (sawfly , but really a wasp) land on the leaves and insert the eggs in leaf tissue .. The larva are constantly eating and can skeletonize the whole plant.
I use neem oil as soon as the sawfly start coming around.
2 to 3 weeks of spraying as per directions with neem.
It is a growth retardant which doesn't allow the larva to develop and of course they die.
But for me I won the sawfly battle only to have japenese beetles destroy all my blooms ..

o
RE: What is eating my leaves and stems?

I have 4 hibiscus plants in my yard, 2 are huge, over 4 ft tall, I bought them this year under a foot. 2 of them look like a skeleton and looks like something is eating it almost down to the ground, first the leaves then the stems. I tried 7 dusting the plants and surrounding area, then adding more fertilizer but they still look aweful. This is all happening within the last 2-3 weeks. I know it cant be the fall weather because the others are still huge and vibrant, blooming everyday. Please help, I don't really want to dig them up and start over.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here