Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nctom

Instead of ranting

nctom
18 years ago

Hello

I am a frequent user over in the tomato forum. I can certainly understand the comments that I read in the hibiscus rant post. However, this is a very common concern for most people. Many including myself just don't know the simplest things about hibiscus. I just did search using key words Over Wintering. The rant thread is one of about 5 I opened. Needless to say it hasn't helped.

I have a couple of ideas for those in the forum who grow weary of answering about over wintering and other common questions. The first idea is one that has worked in the tomato forum is to keep a thread real close to the top about over wintering. Make one last effort and post the ways that you all know have good chance of working. The questions may still come, but when they do refer them to that thread. You and others that use this forum frequently just need to bump it back to the top before it drops down too far. Another idea is start a FAQ section. The people at I Village will help.

Hope this helps. It can really take a load off of you.

Now, if your not ready to pull my hair out :), I have several of the tropical tree hibiscus. Do you think they'll have a chance of survival if I lay them over and pile lots and lots of pine straw over them. Perhaps wrap them in a plastic bag first. Any ideas that might work would be appreciated. I live in southeastern NC. There will be many nights of freezing weather.

Please take my comments kindly. I am not trying to stir anything up.

Tim

Comments (5)

• bruggirl100
    18 years ago

Of course, you're right. What we need, and I don't see listed, is an FAQ for this forum. Do we even have one? I'd be more than willing to help maintain it if we could get one.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    18 years ago

There are many forums that don't have FAQ. I would like to see some assertiveness (like you bruggirl) get the ball started rolling.

First someone volunteers to oversee getting the job done. I believe management first asks that you ask for FAQ to be submitted.

Then the questions are narrowed down (group effort by forum members).

Then appropriate answers are given (again by forum members)

Then you would compile the answers and see if it was suitable to all...again forum members.

Then submit to GW management....or at least that is what I have heard.

There is one forum that most questions are answered by suggesting a link to a 'society' and being told you can find your answer there.

Some FAQ at the tomato forum were a real headache for the 'one' in charge, and if I remember correctly, he even quit (or tried to) in midstream. In the end they turned out great I think.

Best of luck to you.

Sue...who just dropped by.

• bruggirl100
    18 years ago

I'd do my own online somewhere and post the link here, but it will eventually get lost.

• nctom
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I guess the best advice I'm going to get here has already been given to me from bruggirl in her rant.

"The answer is NO!! They are TROPICALS!!! They do not survive freezes, and they get damage at any temps below 40 degrees."

I've got some ideas that may work. If they do, I hope I remember to come back and share them with you.

The impossible has been overcome many times.

Tim

• GardenKiwi
    18 years ago

There are hibiscus that are hardy in zone 5 - so no, not all are tropicals. For the hardy types that I am growing I have names and photos of the flower in the attached link. It all depends on the variety you have of course - but NOT all hibiscus are tropical! I heard that for years so never even tried to grow them - I wish someone had told me about the hardy ones years ago.
    Cheers - Kiwi in Michigan

Here is a link that might be useful: 2005 flowers