Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
merkity

tonga wind

merkity
9 years ago

Morning!
I am always wondering which tropical hib's that i see will set seed. i using a few varieties from big box stores as they are closer and less expensive to for me.

I was very surprised to find that the little red one I bought, Tonga Wind, is setting seed fairly quickly for me.

Comments (4)

• Gutzmek
    9 years ago

Merkity,
    I have Mandarin Wind, Sunny Wind, and Montego Wind that I got from the box store. Mandarin is excellent for both pollen and setting seeds.

Ed

• merkity
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thats good to hear - I also have sunny wind. so far not much luck - I might, maybe, possibly have a seed pod on sunny wind - gotta wait awhile to find out if there are seeds in it. so far i haven't gotten any seed pods on any other plants from the sunny wind pollen. have to go look up mandarin wind - i haven't found it at my HD yet. my red double is not happy this year - all but one seed pod has failed about 10 days into growing. its such a bummer to see the nice big pods with developing seeds turn yellow and fall off :( oh well - i got lots of seeds off of it the last couple years ( my yearling herd is nearly all from the red double). this year my butterfly is the stock pod parent.

• merkity
    Original Author
    9 years ago

i just went and looked at Mandarin wind - very neat, have to see if it pops up at any local stores this year.

• merkity
    Original Author
    9 years ago

so my sunny wind has finally decided to form seed pods. no idea yet if there are seeds in there - but at least its trying.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Swimming Pool Builders in Licking County, OH