Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rigreenthumb1

Transplanted Lord Baltimore!!

rigreenthumb1
16 years ago

Help! I know I was taking a chance transplanting my "Lord Baltimore" Hibiscus, but it really was not in a good spot of my garden. Now it looks very sad and probably dead. My garden is in a southern exposure. Only drought resistant perennials normally do well in this area. I know the Hibiscus likes to stay moist. My plant is about 2 years old. I've been told to water newly transplanted plants everyday the 1st week. If the ground is still wet where I watered around the plant, should I still keeping watering everyday? Won't too much water rot the roots? Do you think it is possible that this plant might come back from the ground next year? August is usually the month we buy and plant hibiscuses around here. Why isn't there problems planting a new hibiscus at this time of year? I thought most perennials could be planted at any time of year as long as they are kept watered! I know the roots of this plant don't like to be disturbed, but after using compost, peat moss and being so careful with it I was very hopeful it would survive. I am so upset about my plant!! Does anyone have any words of encouragement for me? Thanks for your help!

Comment (1)

• gardengirlz2
    16 years ago

it is probably in shock...happens every time I move any plant! Miracle Grow makes a liquid just for transplanting but I don't know if you should use it on the hib. I would say keep it watered but not too wet, they don't like "wet feet". I think if worse comes to worse, you could cut it back and next year it should come back.

The hibs you but at garden centers are grown in the pots and their root system is intact, but when you uproot a plant like you did and as I often do, we disturb the plant and it's root system.It's best to move a plant after it has finished blooming.

Good luck!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting