Hibiscus tiliaceus

jon1949
18 years ago

Hi, I like the look of my tricolor and can't wait for blooms.Pic. below.john

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (6)

• bruggirl100
    18 years ago

How are you going to protect this plant, as it's only hardy to zones 10-11? marginally zone 9b, where I have one.

Do you have a very large space for it to grow? They get 20-30 feet tall.

• jon1949
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi bruggirl, I move all my tender tropicals in my temporary greenhouse 50' x 12' x 9'.I've never grown this plant but i hope keeping it in pots will keep the height down.Pic below. thanks john

Here is a link that might be useful:

• bruggirl100
    18 years ago

Great! It's a wonderful plant. The flowers are lovely, start out yellow, turn red through the day. Sets seeds readily in our zone, but I don't know if your growing season would be long enough, and the seedlings wouldn't be variegated, of course. It roots really easily from cuttings. Did you buy or root yours?

You can keep it pruned back. Most people do. It has a wonderful shape, dense foliage that is quite striking when it gets larger.

Good luck!

• jon1949
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi bruggirl, I bought mine.Thanks for the info.I hope it has time to bloom this year. thanks again john

• debbiep_gw
    18 years ago

John,I looked at some of your pictures.Great ones.What is the vareigated large plant on number 24.Gotta have one now.Debbie

• rsieminski
    18 years ago

Debbie,
    that looks to be Tapioca

John,
    Great looking garden. I LOVE the cement EE's. I'm going to try some myself soon. hey, if you ever cut that Tricolor Hib back, i'd love a cutting of it. It's gorgeous!! Thanks for the glimpse at your garden.
    --Rick

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!