Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mikeandbarb_gw

Hello Up North I need help

mikeandbarb
18 years ago

I have a friend up north in Ma. and she needs to know how to care for a hibiscus, below is the questions she has emailed me. Hope you can help her out. BTW I know the ones I have here in Texas die back and return in the spring but I don't know of any hibiscus that don't die back where you have to cut the limbs to the ground other then rose of sharons.

(I am wondering about my Hybiscus, Don't know if it will make it through the winter. How can I find out? I don't have the tag for it, so I do not know what kind it is. The one I am talking about is the Topiary one. It was a lot of money wouldn't want it to go to waste. I love it, it bloomed all summer and it still has several blooms on it. I have other Hibiscus and the garden center said they would weather the winter. Someone said to put it in the garage. It is in a huge pot so I can move it easily.

I have never done that before. Do you water plants that you put in your garage or cellar or leave them alone??????? the other option is to bring it inside but it would have to go in a room that faces East and the window is not that big. Help!!!!!!!!!)

Also I'll ask her to send me a pix so it might be id.

TIA, Barb

Comments (3)

• mikeandbarb
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Here is the picture of the hibiscus

• rjj1
    18 years ago

This is a tropical that will not survive in Ma. if left outdoors. I have no experience keeping them in a cellar. A dark garage that will freeze is not a safe option.

That's a bad photo to try and id with. Photos are best when taken on a cloudy day or when the plant is in the shade. It "might" be painted lady. Look at Mrbrownthumbs post on when people do dumb things.

randy

• bruggirl100
    18 years ago

Definitely needs to be kept indoors for winter. It will get damage under 40 degrees, and will die if kept at freezing for 5 hours or longer. But that one looks like Seminole Pink, which is a little tougher than most, so it should survive indoors through the winter. Look out for spider mites when you have it indoors. They thrive in the hot, dry air. If you sit it on a tray of pebbles and keep water in it not quite up to the pot, it should be o.k. If it gets spider mites, you can use Orthenex on it, or just put it into the shower and wash them off.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!