Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hybiscus question

Posted by sue_in_nova_scotia 5b (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 7, 05 at 12:50

Hello hybiscians...1. Is there two types of hybiscus? I bought 3 plants this year that are labled "rose mallow" and have the large dinner plate blooms and says 2 ft tall. I have seen a plant that appears to be 12 ft tall and more shrub like in someones yard...Are 'rose of sharron' and 'rose mallow the same thing? 2. Also is it possible to get seeds from shrub type (if it is different) and grow that from seed in zone 5b?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hybiscus question

Rose of Sharon and Rose Mallow are not the same thing.the first one is a hardy to your zone shrub,has small blooms and can be grown from seeds.Rose Mallow is a hardy perennial,but dies to the grand after frost.Has dinner plate size blooms and propagation from seeds is rather challengeing.lots about Hibiscus can be found online.

o

Thank you very much for the information...So the large bush I spied was "rose of Sharon" and so in theory I could ask its owner for seed and get that lovely plant! Yeah!!!

o

I have a Rose Mallow that I planted two seasons ago. This year it was absolutely spectacular. It is about 6ft tall. I was just wondering how I get it ready for the winter. I live in Whitby, Ontario.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here