Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sue_in_nova_scotia

hybiscus question

sue_in_nova_scotia
18 years ago

Hello hybiscians...1. Is there two types of hybiscus? I bought 3 plants this year that are labled "rose mallow" and have the large dinner plate blooms and says 2 ft tall. I have seen a plant that appears to be 12 ft tall and more shrub like in someones yard...Are 'rose of sharron' and 'rose mallow the same thing? 2. Also is it possible to get seeds from shrub type (if it is different) and grow that from seed in zone 5b?

Comments (3)

• halaeva
    18 years ago

Rose of Sharon and Rose Mallow are not the same thing.the first one is a hardy to your zone shrub,has small blooms and can be grown from seeds.Rose Mallow is a hardy perennial,but dies to the grand after frost.Has dinner plate size blooms and propagation from seeds is rather challengeing.lots about Hibiscus can be found online.

• sue_in_nova_scotia
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you very much for the information...So the large bush I spied was "rose of Sharon" and so in theory I could ask its owner for seed and get that lovely plant! Yeah!!!

• helenr
    17 years ago

I have a Rose Mallow that I planted two seasons ago. This year it was absolutely spectacular. It is about 6ft tall. I was just wondering how I get it ready for the winter. I live in Whitby, Ontario.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting