Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carver_gw

Need To Cut Back to Transplant?

carver
16 years ago

I live in Central Florida. We have a large hibiscus in our backyard that we must move to a side yard now. I did a search of this forumn and found a detailed post from Bruggirl explaining how to transplant and move a large hibiscus to another town. That message began by saying that the large hibiscus should be cut back by at least 1/3. Does that still hold true for the hibiscus that we are just moving a couple hundred feet? My luck with transplanting has not been great so I want to be sure to do everything just right.

Comments (2)

• beachbarbie
    16 years ago

I would cut it back. Bruggirl always gaves great advise.
    As you can imagine, the plant will be stressed when you move it and by cutting it back, it will have less to keep alive and can work on re-establshing its roots.
    Good luck!
    Barb

• carver
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Barb,

Thanks for replying to my question. I am new to the Hibicus Forum but it was immediately obvious to me from the detailed instructions posted by Bruggirl that she is an expert on the subject. I was just trying to see if her instructions would be the same for me since I am not going to be moving our hibiscus a great distance. I take it that I should cut it back, so I will. Thanks for your help.