Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oklamoni

Has anyone here harvested their hibiscus flowers for tea?

OklaMoni
13 years ago

Hi

I mostly hang out at the Kitchen Table and Oklahoma Gardening forums, but thought this would be the better place to ask my questions.

Has anyone here harvested their hibiscus flowers for tea yet?

if so, could you tell about it?

Got lots of flowers, and blooms, and am wondering...

Moni

Comments (8)

• dirtygardener73
    13 years ago

I have, many times. The red ones seem to be the sweetest, but they are all good, and good for you. I also put hibiscus flowers in salads. Also, the faded flowers can be dipped in batter and fried, just like squash blossoms.

• OklaMoni
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok, when is the best time to harvest? When they first open up? Then dry them?

I eat daylilies all the time, and LOVE them in salads. Just hadn't thought of the hibiscus before.

Moni

• dirtygardener73
    13 years ago

You can eat ALL of a daylily, although I've never eaten the tubers.

I usually harvest when they close at night, and then brew them fresh like that. I chop them up and use about 2 tablespoons per cup. I pour the boiling water over and let them brew to taste, then strain and add honey and a dab of lemon.

• OklaMoni
    Original Author
    13 years ago

well, my experiment sucked. Brewed some tea that wasn't just unpleasant to look at colorwise, but also didn't taste good at all.

I guess, I will have to find something else to put with the dry blossoms, or feed my compost heap.

Moni

• dirtygardener73
    13 years ago

You have to take the green parts off of the flowers, otherwise, it will be bitter. Take out the middle and the stem and just use the petals.

• OklaMoni
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I only used pedals!

Moni

• kjk7
    8 years ago

I don't see the actual answer to the posted question, on this old post. Can anyone tell me if my midnight majestic dinner plate hibiscus. Would be a candidate for making tea. How to pick prep and dry the petals or full flower for use later in year. As it has a mass of flowers daily & my attempt yesterday did not turn out tasting like tart cranberry what so ever..Maybe being so large I put to many in...my attempt starts as 2 quarts and went to a gallon... And comments or suggestions

• hea3209
    8 years ago

I have the same hibiscus as you. I am dehydrating them now as they are in full bloom here. I am using a dehydrator that doesn't have a fan, just the heating element. I am only using the petals, no stamen or green plant parts. Do not use an oven, it gets too hot even at the lowest setting. It takes a day or 2 to fully dry, with rotating the 5 racks my dehydrator has. I made some tea already with dehydrated petals and it was awesome.

Sponsored