Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cele_gw

help!!!! ants inside my hibiscus tree pot!!

cele
16 years ago

I have a one trunk Beautiful Hibiscus lollipop looking tree. The problem is there are many many many red ants living inside the soil!!!! what do i use to kill the ants but not hurt my tree? please help anyone appreciated! thanks!!!

Comments (5)

• beachbarbie
    16 years ago

Ants themselves aren't a problem with plants, but can be a sign of aphids, etc., which are a problem. Also ants, in their tunneling, can help in keeping soils aerated.
    I'm sure there are ant granules out there that would take care of them if you really can't stand them.
    Barb

• katrina1
    16 years ago

If they are red Fire Ants then you do need to kill them, the big Fire ants put out a poison which could kill your tree, but if those are the kind of ants in your tree's rootball, your tree most likely would already appear to be suffering.

• dessert_gardener
    9 years ago

Hi Cele,

Did you manage to sort the ants problem? I also have the same problem but they are really tiny microscopic ants and get inside the calyx. I've noticed them creeping in at night and the early morning too. I sprayed garlic spray neem oil spray but they still manage to come around no matter how many I kill.

I have been hand pollinating the flowers but the ovary just doesnt mature. I wonder if these microscopic ants are preventing seed formation.

• dessert_gardener
    9 years ago

Hi Cele,

Did you manage to sort the ants problem? I also have the same problem but they are really tiny microscopic ants and get inside the calyx. I've noticed them creeping in at night and the early morning too. I sprayed garlic spray neem oil spray but they still manage to come around no matter how many I kill.

I have been hand pollinating the flowers but the ovary just doesnt mature. I wonder if these microscopic ants are preventing seed formation.

• merkity
    9 years ago

microscopic ants? could those be thrips?

Sponsored