Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bethfl

Advice Please - Gall Midge or Aphids? & How to Treat - HELP

bethfl
17 years ago

My two beautiful peach hibiscus potted "trees" have developed what I think is gall midge or aphids. The buds are covered!! Otherwise they look lush and green. I've had them for about eight years and really want to save them. Please help! Should I soap spray, Sevin, or something else? Thanks so much. Beth

Comments (9)

• jean001
    17 years ago

What do the critters look like? Size, shape, color, movement, and anything else you can see.

• bethfl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

They are tiny, beige but immobile (I think). About half to two thirds the size of a straight pin head. The buds fall off with the slightest touch or movement. Thanks!

• jean001
    17 years ago

Aphids are the most likely of the two critters you mentioned. They would fit the size you described.

If so, the buds could be dropping due to the pests.

Or due to a water shortage -- even though brief -- to the roots. A common event in pots.

• bethfl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks so much. What is the best way to treat aphids? This is a first for me!
    Yesterday I did a soapy spray and hosed the two plants off. Haven't checked this morning - I sure miss those big beautiful blossoms! Again, I appreciate any advice.

• bethfl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Still looking for help. :)

• jean001
    17 years ago

If they're aphids, direct hits of insecticidal soap work well.

And if you're tolerant of the ick factor, you can simply squish the small beasts manually.

• bethfl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yes, the soap spray seems to be working! Finally have one bloom and other buds that aren't falling off when touched. And best, very few pests!
    Thanks so much,
    Beth

• birdsnblooms
    17 years ago

Beth, I don't know if you're still having aphid problems, but if so, why not try sticky traps? They sold at www.gardensalive.com These traps are fantastic..3 winters ago I had a whitefly problem and no matter what I did I couldn't rid them..I've about 400 plants so you can imagine the dilemma I was going through..BTW, I don't use harsh chemicals because I have birds..anyway, I found these traps and bought them..within 2 wks of attaching them to plants, and using my home made brew which consist of 2-4 drops of dishsoap, citrus rind, garlic, they all died..Now, I keep extras in case this was to happen again..Toni

• tcharles26
    17 years ago

Find a bayer pesticide with Imidacloprid as active ingredient.

Sponsored
Central Ohio's Source for Reliable, Top-Quality Roofing Solutions