Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beaniebeagle

can you store them bare root??? how long?

beaniebeagle
12 years ago

I have rose of sharon seedlings popping up every year. I have been digging them up and giving them to family members.

I want to give them away bare root. Transporting them in pots is becoming a pain in the butt. I won't see some of them till midwinter.

If i dug some of them up after dormancy, what's the best way to store them bare root and how long could it be done for??

Comment (1)

• wally_1936
    12 years ago

Not the seedlings but the cutting from a mature plant [pruning's] are the best. I would leave a couple leaves at the top so they know what end to put in soil. I received mine in hot weather they were all sweaty and I did not expect them to live. They were just very small cuttings which do not do so well most of the time but I ended up with 4 out of 6 that are now doing just fine. So at least for me if you want to send them in the mail I would just do branch cuttings-prunings. If you are just hauling them why not just keep a ball of dirt around them placing them in plastic bags? As long as they are dormant they do not need much moisture. Also you did not say for what reason you needed for them to be dormant, etc.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH