Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardeneressa

Flowers don't open?

gardeneressa
18 years ago

Our thriving, hardy, healthy-looking hibiscus bushes which used to flower all the time, now produce a large amount of buds, but the flowers don't open - they just fall off. Any idea why? Sorry, I don't know the species names, but one is a double orange flower, and one type has a large red flower. Thanks from the hibiscus ignoramus.

Comments (7)

• roxy77
    18 years ago

The only thing I've read to explain it is that it's too hot.

Mine is doing the same thing.

:(

• megaera
    18 years ago

In the misery love company category, I just did a skippy dance becuase I got one measly bloom out of six hibiscuses. Plus they wilt every afternoon in the sun... Shoulda planted portulaca or roses. Grrr

• poiu
    18 years ago

Could this be an infestation of gall midge?

Do you see tniy white specks on any of the green flower buds? Or, have you seen a very small white worm/pupa at all on the fallen buds?

• roxy77
    18 years ago

Well I think my theory about the heat may have been true, as both my hibs have started blooming now. I forgot how beautiful they were!

• roxy77
    18 years ago

Well I think my theory about the heat may have been true, as both my hibs have started blooming now. I forgot how beautiful they were!

• gardeneressa
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the responses - I didn't notice any tiny white specks on the buds - will look out for it next time. I think the heat was probably the main culprit. As soon as the temperatures dropped (post-hurricane Wilma!), I started getting beautiful flowers again and they're stunning. I'd post a picture here to show you, but I don't know how!

• roxy77
    18 years ago

Gardeneressa:

I thought the heat was the answer but one of mine still refuses to bloom! It threw one beautiful bloom then just stopped. I have seen little aphids on the blooms and have been rinsing them off.

Anyone have any other ideas why? Or what I can do about it? It's the most beautiful yellow.....

Sponsored
Columbus' Home Design Experts Specializing in Custom Cabinets