Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tishters

variegated tropical...

tishters
18 years ago

hi all. at the farmer's market this morning we saw the MOST gorgeous hibiscus. it was a tad pricey for poor grad students, so i wanted some info first. i have been searching to no avail for a while, so decided to post the question...

it was definitely tropical, and the flowers were small, about 2-3" in diameter. they were a coralish-pink on the inside and were rimmed with a cream color. the leaves were smaller and a bit more elongated than i usually see, and were vivdly variegated with red on green. it had a pretty spreading habit - *almost* *sort of* reminiscent of a fuschia. the entire plant was maybe two feet tall and just as wide.

thoughts? i guess my main question would be: is it more delicate than a normal tropical hibiscus? my SO has a way with them and can overwinter them beautifully (actually one reason i fell in love with him;) !!), but we were worried this one looked more delicate than others...

Comments (2)

• bruggirl100
    18 years ago

Nope, tropicals are tropicals. Keep them preferably above 60 degrees in the winter, and don't worry if they lose leaves, and it should be fine.

And watch for spider mites when they are inside.

• brianmkerr
    18 years ago

Any picture available? Would love to see bloom as it sounds not the same as we know over here, going by foliage?
    Thanks, Brian.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?