Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cateyanne

inside/outside best for overwintering in my zone?

cateyanne
15 years ago

My mother always leaves her hibiscus outside in the winter and it of course dies and buys a new one every year. She would like to avoid this cycle and wants to do something to help it survive.

It has been in the ground, not a pot all summer. Is it possible to bring it inside without destroying the root system?

Or, is there a way to protect it while leaving it in the ground? Our temps here can dip below 0. Although we live near a bay and are somewhat protected from typical zone 5 weather, we are definitely a Northern climate.

I had heard of building a cage of wire around the plant and filling cage with leaves to insulate. Is this a workable method?

Thanks

Comment (1)

• palmfan
    15 years ago

I assume you are talking about tropical hibiscus. These plants will NOT survive even a zone 7 winter outdoors, to the best of my knowledge, even with winter protection. You can dig it up now, prune the top heavily, and pot it up. Do NOT bring it in at exactly the same time since it will be in shock. It will likely survive with few problems. It is probably a good idea to spray for insects before bringing it in for the winter. It will require a sunny position indoors. Grow in partial sun after you dig it up and pot it, and you will reduce or eliminate any shock when you bring it in for the winter. You can also take cuttings. I once asked someone in New York for a cutting from their large hibiscus which was in the ground, looking lovely in mid December. I still have that lovely plant. It was saved through my cutting, right before a killing freeze!

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County