Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dirtygardener73

Desperately need help with my H. schizopetalus

dirtygardener73
13 years ago

I posted this on the Florida forum, but didn't get any real answers. My H. schizopetalus was left in a 3 gallon pot for too long, and I finally put it into a 7 gallon pot, but it is not doing well. The leaves started out yellowed with green veins, and now they are just yellowing and falling off. I used timed-release fertilizer and epsom salts on it when I planted it. I have thought that maybe it's just trying to make new roots, but I'm afraid to take it out to look. I'm going to get a bag of minor elements this weekend and try those. All else I have is some blood meal and Miracle Gro.

I grew this from a tiny 6" cutting. I don't want it to die, as I've had no luck rooting cuttings from it myself.

Comments (2)

• threas
    13 years ago

It's probably just suffering from transplant shock. I wouldn't put any more fertilizer on it. Maybe just some Superthrive or equivalent that helps with healthy root development & shock. Good luck!

Theresa

• dirtygardener73
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Theresa, I would agree with you, but it's been transplanted for several months, and the new leaves are even coming in sickly looking. I'm going to try to cut it back and see what happens. Maybe it's just making new roots, and it can't support all that weight. I won't put anymore fertilizer on it, though. I'll see if I can find SuperThrive around here, but I don't have a "real" garden center near me...just a Lowe's, HD, and WalMart. One of those should have it, or I'll order online. Thanks!

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert