Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mistascott

What is defoliating my potted tropical hibiscus?

mistascott
12 years ago

This is rather frustrating. Something is aggressively eating my hibiscus leaf stems and small portions of the leaf, causing leaves to fall off the tree. The only suspect so far is the brown marmorated stink bug. I don't see them on the tree during the day, but perhaps they feed at night?

The picture below shows the typical damage pattern. I lose about a dozen leaves a night, mostly from the center portion of the tree, not the ends of branches. Any help is much appreciated.

Comments (4)

• AMaji
    12 years ago

Perhaps snails or slugs. Pour beer in a saucer and place it near the plants and see if you can trap them.

Hope you can find the cause and eliminate them.

• mistascott
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Tried some beer last night and all that drowned was a little fly. There were more leaves on the ground, though. I am most likely bringing the plant inside this weekend as we are expecting some cool temps. I hope that the leaf loss stops then!

• jean001a
    12 years ago

The tiny scallops at the edge of the missing tissue suggest caterpillar. Can work at night, also from back side of leaf.

• mistascott
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, I have noticed a squirrel running onto the deck and picking up and chewing on the dropped leaves. Not sure if he is the culprit, but I wouldn't be surprised. We have some incredibly mischievous squirrels here -- they seem to be messing with me just to make me mad. I have yet to see a caterpillar, but some are very good at camouflage and I may not have noticed them.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus