Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
can I move these tropical hibiscus?

Posted by fori CA (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 3, 13 at 16:36

My house has two old tropical bushes in an 18" wide bed (between house and sidewalk). They've been chopped a bunch over their lives so while they aren't that big overall, their trunks (or whatever you call the woody stump out of which all the current stems emerge) are about 12" in diameter.

They are in danger from an upcoming remodeling project as well as not really fitting their spot.

Can plants this size be moved? How big a rootball should I expect? I'm willing to pull up the sidewalk (but not the house!) to get them out but I want an idea of what I'm getting into before I start.

I'm in zone 10a--these plants are facing south and never suffer from weather but north facing plants in the neighborhood can get a little frostbit one or two nights in the winter.

Is there any chance that plants this old/large could be potted for a while and then put in the ground or is that likely too rough on them and I should just put them directly in the ground?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here